Sunday, June 21, 2009

Flowers, Snails, and the pretty fence...

Mike and spent some time pulling weeds (galore) in our backyard a couple weeks back. It wasn't too hot of a day, which was nice. I am not an outside/gardener type of person. I think flowers are pretty & all, but I just don't like maintaining 'em much. (I have a couple cactus' in my kitchen, does that count?) Well, a big part of my dislike of doing outside-work is because I can't stand being out in the sun long. Sure if I'm on a beach or by a lake, but not in my yard. But that's just me.

So anyways, the picture above is one of the few flower bushes we have. I think they're really pretty.

Once we started pulling weeds in the backyard, we noticed lots of snails. They were everywhere. We had never seen so many at once. Most of the pics below show us having fun watching the snails & 'playing' with the snails. You'll see...;}
Oh, and please click on 'em...you'll see how cool they look!

(Oh & it's funny because my good blogging friend Sullivan just did a post about snails. I figured I better post these pics before I forget about 'em!) Thanks Sullivan for reminding me-though you didn't know it at the time-to get these up. :)

Yeah, snails might be slimey...
but they are still quite cool lil' creatures.

They were just chilling...

...and then they started climbing...

...and climbing even higher!

Mike with a new friend...

...Me with a new friend...

...Good thing I wasn't wearing a good shirt. ;}

I just love watching 'em go!...

...and they were everywhere!

Mike found me some empty shells, rocks, and this flower was dying anyways so I took it inside for its last few days.

This is our back fence if you looked out our back door or windows. I love all the leaves over it because 1-they're are pretty 2-we have a good amount of privacy...can't really see what's behind the fence (which is a school field & then the houses on the next block).

But they sent us a letter saying they are taking it down and putting up a new one. We're bummed cuz of the reasons above & because without those leaves BIBI is going to be barking a lot when she sees people or animals behind there.
I'm hoping they won't get to it until after summer.


This is the problem...
but I LIKE this problem...
aka: piece of nature forming on our fence.



And that's how it looks from the side...that's our garage over there.
I'll miss those leaves & branches...
We don't have any trees in our yard,
so that's the REAL crappy part.
Oh well, I guess it must be done.

Hm...maybe I can convince Mike to let us grow/get a tree.
I think I'd have to promise him I'd have to rake the leaves though...
but I think it'd be worth it.
^_^

9 Curious people had this to say...:

Sullivan McPig said...

Your garden looks huge!!! We only got a small balcony, but luckily we have a couple of parks closeby and if we cycle for about 15 minutes we're outside the city.
And love the snail pictures! Snails are beautiful I think.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Tree are wonderful! Plant them if you can, I love all of mine.

Thanks for sharing your lovely yard.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

you have a reallu nice yard. i hate being outside,the sun bothers me, but i do it anyway so my little girl doesn't go crazy inside all the time LOL the snails remind me of gary (spongebobs pet).
its sad that they will be taking off the fence, i like the way it looks and privacy is always great :)

roxy

permanentcloud said...

i love your yard! i know what you mean about maintaining plants though...pretty to look at but i don't really want to be bothered. lol

and i love all the snail pics! adorable! :)

Eve Noir said...

Firstly, THANKS everyone!!!

Sullivan- No, that's not really a garden (unless you mean my yard in general & then yeah it's a nice size). Yeah, back there are just a couple of bushes (can't see 'em) and the flowers are actually in the front yard.

Things look better in the front compared to the back. (but let's get that our little secret!)

Eve Noir said...

Frog Queen- Yes, my parents house (where I lived until 3 years ago) had lots of trees in the yard & I LOVED it. That's why it was so odd moving over here where we don't have one tree in our yard...and not many on the street in general.

You're welcome. Thanks for looking!

Eve Noir said...

ROXY- Thanks. Yeah, I'll sit outside...but only under some shade. Me + Sun (or heat/humidity) = BAD! Yes, I am so bummed about that fence...it was my eye candy when washing dishes. :(

Eve Noir said...

Cindy- Yeah, ugh ugh ugh! Mike thinks just cuz I'm a girl I should LOVE doing that kinda stuff...I'm just like "Whateva!" ;} Maybe it's cuz I just don't know how to maintain 'em right yet.

It really amazes me at some of the work people do in their yards with plants, flowers, trees, etc... I think it's great but not for me. :)

Sullivan McPig said...

Ah.... there's a difference again between garden and yard that I don't get like the snail/slug and turtle/tortoise thing?
You have so many different words for things that we only got one word for.